Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bits & Pieces

Taken from Sherrill Sorbets newsletter.
Sherrill Kahn develops paint for fiber artists, scrapbook makers and anyone who want great paint for many avenues of art work.
The paints work well on all surfaces including paper, fabric, wood, and cardboard. I have to share with you something that happened at my last store. I knew the owners and I had taught for the same store last year. I didn’t read my new contract carefully before I signed it. On the last day, I discovered that I had agreed to give 50% of my stamp sales to the store, meaning we made no profit on the rubber stamps.
In addition, the store took 50% of sales of my personal artwork. Please read your contracts carefully. Everyone that has heard this story has been horrified at such a large percentage being taken. I don’t want this to happen to any of you, so please read all contracts you sign very carefully before you sign them.
The artwork pictured above is something new that I am doing. I used Oil of Olay facial wipes to create the sewn textural areas of the design. I used the facial wipes to wash my face and then I washed out the wipe, let it dry, and then dyed it with paints and Jacquard’s Dye-na-flow. Since I discovered the magic of facial wipes, I have tried Ponds, Walmart’s brand, and other inexpensive wipes.
The possibilities are endless. You can collage them, sew with them, make beads, etc. Some tear easier than others after they have been dyed. If they don’t tear easily, make a small cut and then tear them. I have bags full of these to use in my art work and am writing an article for
Somerset Studio about the process.

You can learn more about Sherrill and her Sorbet paints at:
http://www.impressmenow.com/paint_set.htm

No comments: